Looking for exciting skincare tips? Come in here! this post was written by a dermatologist who is more than happy to share her success tips with you. I call the rules!
The skin is the first thing people notice about you. Your face is the most prominent part of your skin that people see. Your skin is the largest organ in the body that protects the body by creating a barrier impenetrable to pathogens. Your skin also holds the internal organs together and in place.
For a person who works hard, it is sometimes possible to relegate skincare to showering especially when there are no obvious problems. These are 5 skincare tips that can help you set up a skincare routine that fits well into your busy schedule.
- Know your skin type: This is one of the most successful skincare tips that helps you to know what works for you bearing in mind that your skin type can change. One way of looking at skin type using the Baumann skin type categorization is to consider the following parameters: Oily versus Dry, Sensitive versus Resistant, pigmented versus Non-pigmented, and wrinkled versus tight or non-wrinkled. Combining one of the characteristics from each group give you the characteristics of your skin type.
The sebaceous glands under the skin produce sebum which helps to moisturize and protect the skin. When in excess, it causes the skin to be oily and can block the pores resulting in easy breakouts and acne if not managed properly. On the other hand, dry skin is characterized by itching, cracking, and dry patches. Dry skin can occur naturally or can be caused by the weather, hot baths, and the use of harsh soaps.
Sensitive skin is prone to inflammation and reaction when exposed to different triggers like sweat or even skincare products. Pigmented skin is measured by the skin’s propensity to develop pigments like freckles while wrinkling which is a natural part of aging is also influenced by genetic factors, lifestyle, and sun exposure. Knowing your skin will help you make the best choice for your skin and the skincare tips to follow.
- Choose the right skincare routine and product: When you wake up, wash your face with cold water and also wash off every make at night before going to bed. This another of my favorite skincare tips, showering with cold water is essential to promote circulation and help with weight loss if that is also one of your goals. Choice of skincare products should be based on the nature of your skin. If your skin is predominantly dry, sensitive, pigmented, and prone to wrinkling, it is prone to eczema and very selective of skincare products. It is necessary to choose a product that has hyaluronic acid, glycerin, or shea butter that can draw water into the skin keeping it moisturized.
- Eat and drink right daily: The secret to good skin is what you feed it. Highly processed foods do not contain the appropriate nutrients necessary to maintain skin suppleness. A balanced diet containing all the classes of food in the right proportion is the best for your skin. Proteins in your diet are necessary for the formation of collagen and elastin which gives structure to your skin and prevent wrinkling as well as Keratin which forms the protective barrier in the skin. Vitamins like Vitamins A, C, E are also necessary for skin maintenance and repair. On another hand, some foods can worsen skin conditions in some people and should be avoided. Water is also necessary to keep skin supple. Dehydration can cause drying of the skin which can lead to other skin conditions hence it is necessary to take enough water to maintain the turgor of skin cells. Skincare tips always highlight good food for the skin
- Exfoliate regularly: Exfoliation involves the removal of dead cells from the skin. Exfoliation helps prevent clogging of skin pores and brightens up the skin. Skin exfoliation can be done mechanically or chemically. Mechanical exfoliation involves using an instrument like a brush to scrub off the dead skin while chemical exfoliation involves the use of enzymes or water-soluble acids like AHA or BHA to dissolve dead cells. Exfoliation should be done gently so as not to irritate your skin. Some celebrities swear by these skincare tips
- Get enough sleep: The skin rejuvenates when we sleep. A study done on 60 women showed that chronic poor sleep quality increased signs of intrinsic aging, diminished skin barrier function, and lowered the appeal of their appearance. Good quality sleep at night helps the body to produce more collagen, produce more melatonin that repairs UV induced damage, and decreases cortisol and stress levels which are necessary to maintain skin integrity.