TOP 10 FAT BURNING FOODS FOR WOMEN: The secret to weight loss is a calorie deficit. The number of calories you ingest should be less than the number you use up. The best way to lose weight and feel great is to combine exercise and diet. An optimal diet is one that provides all the required nutrients in the right proportion. The best dieting strategy, therefore, is to combine foods that will supply all the nutrients needed for you to function with fat-burning foods.
Some studies have shown that women burn fat differently from men because men have a higher muscle mass which promotes the utilization of energy. To burn fat, your body breaks it down in the fat cell and then moves it into your bloodstream where it is used up by the different organs. Here are the top 10 fat burning foods for women.
- Whole Grains: A whole grain is a grain that has all its parts intact. It has the endosperm, germ, and bran, unlike refined grains that have only the endosperm. Examples of whole grains are oatmeal, wheat, and Brown rice. Whole grains are rich in dietary fiber because of their brand content. Dietary fiber, also known as roughages can be soluble or insoluble but they are not digested or absorbed by the body. Soluble fibers attract water and form a gel-like substance in the small intestine which lowers the rate of digestion. They also bind to cholesterol especially the bad low-density lipoproteins getting them excreted instead is absorbed. Soluble fibers are found in Oatmeal. Insoluble fibers, on the other hand, bulk up the stool and make it softer. They are found in wheat.
Whole grains keep you full and promote the feeling of being full reducing, your intake of calories. They are great as breakfast cereals and can be eaten with soups. So, Whole grains is one perfect example of fat burning foots.
- Beans and legumes: There are many types of beans and legumes. The popular ones in Nigeria are the cowpeas also known as black-eyed peas which can be brown or white beans. Other types of beans are lentils, kidney beans, and soya beans. These foods are high in protein and dietary fiber. Fiber promotes the feeling of fullness while proteins reduce the levels of the hormone ghrelin which stimulate s the feeling of hunger. They also contain resistant starch which functions as a type of fiber and resists digestion. Beans can be boiled to make porridge or puddings. Some people have a challenge with beans as it causes bloating and excess gas. This is because of their raffinose content. This can be overcome by soaking the beans before boiling. The poly-phenol content of beans is great for health making them a great example of fat burning foods.
- Eggs: Another great example of fat burning foods. Whole eggs that were previously advised against because of their high cholesterol content have been shown to promote the burning of fat and have been proven not to increase the cholesterol level after ingestion. They are rich in protein, and antioxidants that promote metabolism. They promote metabolism because of their thermic effect. The thermic effect is the energy required for the digestion absorption and utilization of the nutrients in the food. A high protein diet boosts metabolism by 80 to 100 calories a day. Eggs make a great breakfast dish and can be eaten boiled, poached, or fried.
- Chicken and lean meat: Chicken is another example of fat burning foods because it is a lean meat with high protein content. This is necessary for muscle building. Muscles promote the burning of fat. Chicken also contains other nutrients like Magnesium, calcium, and Phosphorus necessary for healthy bones and teeth.
- Citrus fruits: The Grape fruit is a great example. Grapefruit is citrus known for its sour taste. It is rich in fiber, antioxidants, and other nutrients. It is low in calories and is known to aid weight loss by increasing the time for digestion, promoting fullness, and making you take in fewer calories. Grapefruits also contain a lot of potassium which is great for your heart. You can enjoy grapefruits in salads or combined with honey.
- Avocado: Avocados are great fat-burning foods. They are rich in healthy fats, nutrients that promote the intake of fiber and antioxidants like carotenoids. They also contain Vitamins C, E, and K, folate, magnesium, copper, and potassium which are great for your body. Avocado oil is rich in monounsaturated and oleic fatty acids. They are high in fat and fiber which keep you full for longer, Avocados can be eaten as a snack, in salads, and as an alternate to butter in bread.
- Apples: The adage, ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’ is confirmed by the fat-burning properties of apples. Apples are low in calories and high in fiber which keeps you full and reduces your intake of calories. They also contain pectin which absorbs water and limits fat absorption.
- Nuts: Nut like almonds, walnuts, and cashew are great fat burning foods. Used as healthy snacks, they can encourage the burning of fats because they are rich in healthy unsaturated fats, fiber, and proteins. Almonds contain L-arginine which burns fats, and the fat and protein content keep you full for longer. Walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids, plant sterols, and other vitamins that suppress hunger. Cashew nuts, in addition, contain magnesium which regulates fat metabolism
- Pepper: Pepper, one very good example of fat burning foods. Different types of peppers have been linked with weight loss. Peppers are known to be metabolic boosters and great fat-burning foods. It also inhibits the creation of new fat cells and prevents fat accumulation. The peppery sensation is also known to keep one fuller for longer. Pepper can be Black pepper, Cayenne pepper, Chilli, or Habanero pepper. Adding it as a spice to food is a great way to encourage fat burning per meal.
- Green tea: Green tea is a healthy beverage that promotes weight loss. It contains caffeine which acts as a stimulant that burns fats. It also contains catechins which are an antioxidant that promotes metabolism. Green tea also suppresses appetite leading to eating less food and ingestion of fewer calories. It is taken by infusing it in hot water and can be taken in the morning or evening. One very good example of fat burning foods.